Light weight food Ideas for backpacking.
Here are some very simple ideas for dehydrated and light-weight foods.
1) Any packaged dinner mix from the grocery and packed in ziploc baggies ie, Macaroni & Cheese, Rice-a-Roni, Broccoli and Cheese, etc. There are tons of these things available today. If they call for milk,then the boys can carry powdered milk in baggies. Margarine will travel well, and since they will be working hard, the extra fat might be desirable.
2) Instant oatmeal, instant grits and bagels are great for breakfast. Again, powdered milk can be used with these. Get some of the instant hot cereal mixes--they are warm and filling.
3) Dehydrated vegetables and full meals can be found in camping stores. Add dried peas to a box of mac & cheese, for instance.
4) Try Ramen noodle soups, or any of those "soup in a cup"s (that can be packaged in baggies so they take up less room).
5) Dehydrated bean flakes that mix up almost instantly with water are available in HFS. Mix these with some cooked minute rice and put in a tortilla. Yum! Flavor them with onion, garlic, cumin powders.
6) Cheese packs well. Again, the fat may not be so bad if they are hiking all day. And if it's cold, then the fat is almost necessary to help them stay warm. (You need a lot more calories when it's cold.)Add a hunk to any soup, pasta, rice, or dehydrated veggies you're cooking. The little cheese rounds that a wrapped in wax last a long time.
7) Pasta, pasta, pasta. Top it with sauces made from the dry package mixes. A lot of these are tasty. High in sodium and preservatives sometimes, but for a couple of meals they won't hurt you.
8) Instant mashed potatoes that can be mixed with the powdered milk or water only. Make up an instant gravy to go on top.
9) Dried fruit can be cooked in some water and put on top of a piece of angel food cake for dessert. (Hey, the cake might get crushed a little,but it is lightweight!) Add some cinnamon and Tang (in lieu of orangejuice)and you approximate a Cooking Light recipe.
10) The dry veggie burger mixes would make a great meal. Most of them make up with water only and many are quite tasty.
11) Bulgar and couscous cook up in only a few minutes with boiling water.